Thursday, April 3, 2014

Jerusalem Day 10

Today was a great day. The weather was amazing, sunny, not too hot, and a great day for walking the Via Dolorosa. Going through the first gate into old Jerusalem, we proceeded to the two chapels at the beginning of the walk, on where Jesus was condemned, and one where the scourging of Jesus was. Both of the chapels were very somber, but what bothered me the most was the inscriptions on the stone floor.

In the chapel of the flagellation, there were little game boards carved in the stone, which were games that Roman soldiers played at prisoner expense. Johnny explained the "King" Game where the Roman soldiers would pick one prisoner and dress and treat him like a king for a few days before killing the prisoner. It brought things to a very real perspective.

It was then that we started on our way through the winding streets of Jerusalem on the Via Dolorosa, stopping at each station. The stations where Simon of Cyrene and Veronica were the most impactful for me, as well as the station where Jesus saw his mother. I cannot imagine what agony that would have been like, but to have to wind up the narrow streets, after being severely whipped and scourged, carrying a heavy wooden cross to a place where you knew you would die....I just don't have words.

As I reflect on Simon of Cyrene, I am humbled by his helping Jesus bear his cross, and to Veronica to provide comfort. So often in this world of ours, people don't do enough good for others. Perhaps this is a voice that I received today to perhaps listen to.

We made our way through the many stations of the cross before arriving at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which is where Jesus was crucified. I hate to even say that it was a disappointment, but the Catholic Church (and it's off-shoots) certainly know how to really commercialize or "crap up" sites that are meant to be holy. Greek Orthodox decor is WAY to ornate for my taste, and with the bazillion people in the church, it was just kind of one big mad house.

We stood in line to view the rock where Jesus was crucified, which is actually located under an alter, and took a long time to view. Part of the problem was 1) there was a group of Brazilians that were taking pictures (and not just one of everything, but 3 of everything each), 2) they all had to get their picture taken with a madonna type icon, and 3) had to each say a prayer, with 67 verses under the alter, kiss the alter, pat the alter, and genuflect at the alter before moving on. At one point, our tour guide, Johnny, told one young guy that he needed to move along, because there were a lot of people waiting in line. He must have been on verse number 124.

We saw Golgotha, and then made our way out of the church and up toward the Church of Our Redeemer (a Lutheran Church). Our group sang "Were you there" and actually did a fine job of it. All of a sudden, Johnny came with the key to the organ, and asked me if I would like to play. The one time I didn't carry my music with me, I said sure....not knowing exactly what I would do.

Then a man brought up our old green ELW hymnal, and I was able to play two hymns, "Where Charity and Love Prevail," and of course my all time favorite, "Wondrous Love." In fact, I improvised part of the latter hymn at the church in lieu of missing the music, and then really made the organ sing in the big stone church on the last verse, "And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on!" It was all I could do to keep from tearing up. The sound was so glorious, and the reverberation was about 4 1/2 seconds in the church.....it was GLORIOUS! I could have sat and played forever, but I realized that I only had limited time as the church was empty. Apparently, there were a couple of groups that stopped in to listen, and then everyone clapped after I finished my second simple hymn. I made it a point to choose an American hymn tune, and there is none better than "Wondrous Love."

I came down, and there wasn't a dry eye in the church. It was all I could do to not be teary too. For some, I was told that hearing the music and having me play was what made their experience hit them. Perhaps that was part of the voice that I've been hearing all week of my mom, my dad, and of the Holy Spirit. And while I had other music that I could have played, those two hymns, simple, plain, unadorned, spoke clearly for me. It was truly an incredible moment. Me...doing what I do, the gift God gave me, the voice of song at the Church of Our Redeemer, in Jerusalem, Israel, playing...for others in the world to hear.....it's very humbling. Quite the opportunity.

From there, we had lunch on one of the rooftops near the Lutheran church, which had a beautiful view of Jerusalem. The falafel and shawarma wraps were amazing again, and it was a great social atmosphere. before heading down to see the pool at Bethesda, and then touring the Church of St. Anne, which is where Mary's mother lived. This was another singing debut, only this time, the acoustics were even more impressive. I led the 19 of us in singing "How Great thou Art" which really isn't one of my favorites, but being an American tune and an American group, and having been given the suggestion by the French priest, I led everyone in song. I really didn't have to sing loud to hear my voice echo in the church over everyone else. It was impressive, as was the singing by everyone in the group. So much so, that the church was about 2/3 full by the time we got done singing. There were a lot of smiles when we were done.

We then went down below the church to see the spots where Mary's mom lived, before coming up to hear another group sing (this one was Russian), with a few people sitting there kind of laughing at how bad they were by comparison to our group. Again, the voice of song, the Spirit of God was in that place.....and what another glorious experience.

From there we headed to the bus, and back to the hotel, where we have to get things packed, get things ready for the journey home, and be at the social hour before dinner tonight.

ln all, what a great day. Music feeds my soul. And God sure gave me voice to touch others today. What a blessing indeed!

No comments: