Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mexican Fiesta

To say that I need a vacation is an understatement. In looking back at the last 9 to 10 months, I came to the sudden realization that I really haven't had my evenings off. I mean, I love doing all of the things that I do all of the time, but to constantly have rehearsal 4-5 nights a week, church 2 times a week, and other meetings other times during the week, it really doesn't leave much time for me to do much of anything else. This is much to the chagrin of my friends that really have come to not rely on me to be able to do anything.

Turning 40 this year was really a non-event. I mean, I don't really feel much older. I am a bit smarter in my choices I make every day. I still have all 32 teeth, and my hair is greyer and thinner. My body is fatter, but I still feel really no different than, let's say, 35.

So when it came time to think about where I would celebrate my 40th birthday, a couple of friends and I decided several years ago that we would all celebrate in Mexico. Coming up with where was a little bit of a daunting task, but as long as we had lots of booze, lots of sun, lots of fun, it really didn't make much difference.

So over the last couple of months, trying to get our shenanigans in order was somewhat equivalent to wrangling cats: deciding where to stay, what destination to go to, what time of the year, what number of days, what to do, what airline to fly.....everyone seemed to have differences of opinions about what to do. I needed a whole lot of Maalox and some Xanax just to be able to deal with the constant juggling of schedules.

Well, we decided that we would go to Cabo San Lucas. Everything was all set....and of course there was some snags. Turns out that after all it probably was all for the best, as there was a huge hurricane that blasted its way through.

Puerto Vallarta was the alternate choice. I've been there before, but I've enjoyed it. And, barring no major issues, I'm thinking that this should be a great time. I cannot wait to be able to post either pictures or stories on this thing, so that you can get a glimpse of what I am getting myself into.

But, nonetheless, I'm looking forward to all of the things I mentioned, not to mention the much needed respite from my day to day activities.

Check back here often. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: