Sunday, September 13, 2009

PV #3

Well, today started out with seeing if we wanted to have our dinner out on the beach for one night this next week. After looking at all of the options, we all decided it was best that we just stick to our current game plan, and just find a place that is really nice that we could all enjoy.

After breakfast, we decided to go "off campus" to Old Vallarta, and take a look around the port city. Puerto Vallarta is an older city, and the main central area (in my opinion) is very charming. Walking on one side of the street, there are a lot of shops, bars and restaurants all hawking their wares or services. On the other side of the street there are lots of modern sculptures in bronze, and were able to take some pictures overlooking Banderas Bay. I especially loved the fact that as we walked by, the hawkers kept calling me "Polo" from my t-shirt I was wearing. I have no idea what to think about that, and after awhile, I was wanting to call them something in English, however somehow I feel there would be something lost in the translation, thereby losing the intended effect. Aside from the constant barrage of trying to get us to look at their crap, there really wasn't much else to it. I wanted to say "pienso que todas las cosas son mierda." In English, it would have translated to "your crap is a piece of shit, I don't want it." Alas, I don't want to be that ugly Americano either.

We then stopped at a tequila store, and after trying about 6 different kinds of tequila, and getting some good information about what to do and see in the city, I ended up buying a tamarind flavored tequila which was delicious. After all, Victor was very charming to the ladies, and very helpful. I felt the necessity to buy something.

I can tell you that the weather continues to be hotter than hell, and today, the sun was out all day. We ended up going to El Marisco de Tito, which my lunch was delicious (I cannot say the same for the others). After a great lunch, we then decided to head back to the hotel to suck up some sun. We lounged around the pool for several hours before getting ready to eat. The guys in the palapa by the pool, Jesus, Hugo, Jose, and Cesar really do a fantastic job, and we never went dry the whole afternoon.

We then went to dinner at the Italian restaurant at the resort. I think I had lamb, but it really didn't taste like it. But the wine was flowing, and eh, I didn't really mind.

Puerto Vallarta, and this resort really go out of their way to make guests feel at home. I can't say that the food is overly fantastic, but it's plentiful, and they'll do whatever they can to try to make things the way you want them to be. The service, on the other hand IS fantastic. I'd definitely recommend this place to others, and stay again sometime.

No comments: